I struggled with Rarasaur‘s last prompt – Wu Wei – as it’s not something I find easily in my life. This one however, suggested a plethora of possibilities topics. The concept this week is Meraki: “This is a word that modern Greeks often use to describe doing something with soul, creativity, or love — when you put “something of yourself” into what you’re doing, whatever it may be.”
Interestingly some of the activities I do with Meraki also ended up being mentioned in my Wu Wei post. I guess loving to do something and doing it instinctively go hand in hand (though this does not apply to running). Here’s my top 5 (in no particular order):
- Baking – rather than cooking, as cake represents celebration to me and I try to make beautiful and/or delicious ones for my family and friends. I don’t always succeed, but one ingredient I never forget is love.
- Knitting – Mum shared a hobby she loved with me and I love making things for those I love.
- Blogging – little bits of my heart and soul are scattered throughout this blog.
- Reading – if the actual reading doesn’t count, passionate discussion of books must!
- Teaching – not the paperwork (or the marking) but being in the classroom. I love inspiring students to see the world a little bit differently or seeing it in new ways through their eyes. The look on a child’s face when a new idea clicks into place makes all the hard work worthwhile. I miss it.
However, there’s one thing that beats all of those: